November 2015 Meeting Minutes
Niagara Association of Homebrewers
Meeting Minutes: November 24, 2015
- 22 Members/Prospects were present.
- Rob Haag took the BJCP tasting exam in August and is our club’s newest judge! The Sultans also added two judges to the local judge pool.
- Erik, Mary and Wes attended their second meeting.
- 2016 dues ($25/individual; $30/couple) can be paid to Eric Stellrecht.
- We had a good turnout for our November Social at 42 North Brewing. The beers were very good and the tour was much appreciated.
- The next social on December 8 will be at HandleBar in downtown Buffalo.
- The next business meeting will be held on December 22, 2015 at 7:00 PM at Crazy Jake’s.
- We had a date picked for Holidaze but ran into difficulties when the Knights of Columbus prohibited us from bringing our own homebrew. Alternate venues are quickly being explored so a date can be set.
- The Sultans of Swig still need five beers for their Dears, Beers and Cheers fundraiser on December 5. There is no registration fee and a brewer may enter multiple beers. Contact Andy Urban at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Art of Beer will be held on Friday, March 4, 2016 at the NACC. We will likely be sharing a table with Niagara Tradition and assisting with the brew demo, and pouring beer.
- Tickets go on sale December 1 for Beerology, which is on Saturday, March 5, 2016. We will likely be brewing a demo in the kitchen like we’ve done in the past.
- The tentative dates for Amber Waves of Grain are March 25-26, 2016.
- We drew names for the Sultans of Swig/American Homebrewers Association beer/food pairing at the Roycroft Inn. The date for the dinner will be February 4th or February 25th. Brewers representing NAH will be Alex Placito, Sean Wall, Marcus Palmisano, and Tom Piwtorak.
- A new website has been developed for the club and should be launched shortly.
- Albe Pilon quickly discussed the Random Trios. Some teams have already brewed and others were discussing recipes.
BJCP Style Education
- November’s BJCP style education was presented by Mark Zambron. He gave and excellent PowerPoint presentation on Kentucky Common and brought his homebrewed example as well as Common Sense from Upstate Brewing Company.
- December’s style will be wood aged beers presented by Marcus Palmisano.
Meeting was adjourned and we shared some delicious homebrew with one another.