Niagara Association of Homebrewers
Meeting Minutes: May 24, 2016
- 17 current members were present.
- May’s Social was at Lockhouse Distillery. We were treated to a tour and were set free on their extensive flavor library with measured amounts of fruits, vegetables, spices, nuts, etc. in a measured volume of neutral spirits.
- The next business meeting will be held on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 7:00 PM at Crazy Jake’s.
- June’s Social will be at Pizza Plant Canalside. Unofficial start is 7:00 on June 14th PM and all are welcome.
- “Brew at the Bison” will be June 11 in the Flying Bison parking lot. More details here.
- The Western New York Brewers’ Picnic will be Sunday, August 7th at Sheridan Park.
- The Dude Hates Cancer will be happening once again at Resurgence Brewing this August. Entries are capped at 25 and each brewer should enter a 5 gallon batch whether in kegs, growslers, or bottles. A people’s choice voting method will be use to to determine the winner who gets to brew a barrel of their recipe at Resurgence.
BJCP Style Education
- Erv Brese gave a great overview of sours and blending. He provided some wonderful homebrewed examples produced by him and others. He also shared some commercial examples from his cellar.
- June’s style will be Weissbier, presented by Greg Zorn
- July’s style will be Helles, presented by Marcus Palmisano.
- If you want to present a style and perhaps brew an example of your own to go along with your presentation, contact Tim Belczak to get on the list. We’d like to fill the list up several months in advance to give members the opportunity to brew an example for the presentation if they desire. If you’re not an expert, this is a great way to lean a style and educate others. The club pays for the beer and you can find all the information you need on the BJCP website. New presenters are always encouraged.
Meeting was adjourned and we shared some delicious homebrew with one another.